Asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: If divorced from another state and now living in two different states, can a Virginia lawyer help with unpaid alimony?

My in-laws divorced from Kentucky. My father-in-law lives in California and my mother-in-law now lives with us in Virginia. My father-in-law reduced court ordered payments soon after the divorce and now doesn’t pay at all even though my mother-in-law brought him back to court before leaving Kentucky. Can she get help from a lawyer in Virginia? Can my father-in-law be made to pay back alimony even though he lives in California?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Christopher Miller
Michael Christopher Miller
  • Vienna, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You need to go to the state where the payor resides to enforce the order.

Only Kentucky, the state that ordered spousal support, can modify the order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.