Oakland, MD asked in Divorce for Maryland

Q: Husband left Jan 2019. I'm willing to wait 12 months; however, he is moving out of state. Refuses no-fault option

He has taken all marital property and refuses to negotiate and sign an agreement. I do not have money to hire PI to prove adultery, and he is moving out of state soon. I know I will not know his whereabouts after the 12 month waiting period - what happens if I don't know where to serve final divorce papers?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Renee Gould
Dawn Renee Gould
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: I would file for divorce ASAP so that you can serve him while he is still living here. He will then have to return here for any and all court dates. You can file for a limited divorce if you don't meet the grounds for an absolute divorce and then upon meeting any ground for absolute divorce, you just amend the original pleading.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.