Georgetown, OH asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: My father in law owns a farm that is to go to my husband upon his death. My husband has a step brother who has no

entitlement to this farm. What would be the best course of action to protect this property from a family fight upon my father in laws death to ensure my husband gets it solely.

1 Lawyer Answer

Joseph Jaap

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Father in law should meet with an estate planning attorney to review all the facts of the situation. The attorney can discuss various options of how to accomplish what he wants to do. It could be as simple as executing an affidavit, but he should also have a will, a living will, and financial and health care powers of attorney. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to find a local estate planning attorney to meet with him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.