Yonkers, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: I received a combo card ( EAD and AP ) with a misspelled last letter of my last name on it.


As the title said, I received a combo card with a typo.

The last name on my EAD card is misspelled by one letter.

The mistake was mine, as I did not notice that on the I765 form, neither on NOA1 or NOA2, since all other boxes and forms were filled out correctly.

When applying for EAD and AP, I applied separately, with EAD form containing the legal name misspelled in a ''legal name'' box, while all other boxes to fill out with my legal name, in the same form, were spelled correctly, such as ''in care of box''.

For some reason, all my other documents are spelled fine, even the AP form, but as I received the EAD card misspelled, I am afraid I will have to replace the card and wait further to be able to work. Processing times are long.

Since I opted for SSN on the I765 form, I fear that the name will be misspelled there, as well.

Can I work, by making copies of EAD and SSN, to show to employers that I've been approved, while sending the EAD back to be corrected?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelli Y. Allen
Kelli Y. Allen
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: You need to have the card correctly. Whether an employer will accept a copy depends on the particular employer. If you can, get the job while you have the original documents to show, then keep a copy and send the EAD back with the application to correct the name. Once you have the new card, use that to get a new SS card.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.