Dandridge, TN asked in Constitutional Law, Family Law and Contracts for Alabama

Q: Good morning. I was divorced in 2013 our house in was supposed to be sold and monies split. Can I take him to court?

It was to be sold within a reasonable time period. He refuses to respond to any requests. It's in our divorce decree, I am having financial problems. I never got a walk through, he still has some of my property. I only want what is written.

1 Lawyer Answer
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Yes. If your ex spouse has failed to follow a provision in your Divorce Decree you can file a petition seeking to have him held in contempt. If successful a finding of contempt will force him to do what he has not done and may entitle you to attorney fees as well. You should get with an attorney as soon as possible to address this issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.