Georgetown, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: If I have children from another man can I still file with divorce with no children forms?

I have the divorce forms but it says if I have children from someone other than the husband I can't use these forms so I just need to know which forms to file for this situation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carrie T. Schilling
Carrie T. Schilling
  • Southlake, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The short answer is maybe. Is the other man legally the father because they were born during your marriage to him or is there already an order affecting the parent-child relationship with that other man? If you want to file for divorce pro se (without a lawyer), you can try calling or emailing the court clerk for the jurisdiction you are in. Different courts may have different forms and the clerk may be able to point you in the right direction. Alternatively, you may be able to hire a lawyer for a limited scope of representation and you would just pay them to get the right paperwork filed for your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.