Branford, CT asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: My mother passed with a will instructing executor to sell condo as soon as practicable and divide proceeds evenly.

It’s been over 2 years. Executor is stepfather who still lives in condo. Condo was in my mother’s name only no mortgage. He and I are beneficiaries. He waited 9 months to put on market and has not dropped the price accordingly. I am losing my own home due to this delay of asset distribution. He is currently paying for all expenses currently and He believes I should be held accountable for 1/2 of expenses since the date of her death though he is living there. I have asked him to buy my share out but he refused. He wants to move to Florida but is not really being aggressive to do so. What are my options? This should have been settled over a year ago and I’m in dire straights.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: It would make sense to hire an attorney or at the very least write a letter to the Probate Court. You are in a tough situation that is not black and white. Generally the court is ok with someone staying in the home for about 6 months. After that it becomes rather inappropriate. As to the split of the living expenses during that time it again becomes unclear. It is arguable that he should be paying the fair market value in rent. I suggest you reach out to an attorney for a consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.