Wyoming, MI asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Michigan

Q: if I have 50% legal custody is the other party allowed to refuse parenting time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Laurie Schmitt
Laurie Schmitt
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you have a court order that specifically defines your parenting time, the other party would be in violation of that court order if they refuse parenting time.

Legal custody does not have anything to do with parenting time. Legal custody defines who can make major decisions for the child such as where they go to school, medical issues, etc.

If you are not receiving your parenting time as defined in your court order, you can file a parenting time complaint with the friend of the court.

Brent T. Geers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.