Asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: I have 4 traffic tickets from 4 years ago right before I went off for college. Now I have warrants what do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Bredow
Mark Bredow
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Bloomfield Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Much depends upon what infractions are in those tickets. If they are only civil traffic matters, you have probably been defaulted and are responsible to pay them. However, some tickets are actually criminal misdemeanors which are punishable by fees, fines, costs, and depending upon the circumstances and your record, could include jail. Those will need to be addressed and a formal plea entered. You will need to contact the court, determine the actual charges, determine the maximum fines and penalties and find out the Court's procedure to address these If you admit responsibility and pay the civil tickets you can clear those. But if you wait, then the next time you are pulled over, you will be arrested and you'll have to post bail and your vehicle could be impounded. Your best bet is to retain an attorney to work with you. An attorney can contact the court, arrange for a time to address all cases, and talk to the city/prosecuting attorney and work out a negotiated settlement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.