Newport, TN asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: If a mother did not complete anything asked and judge issued no contact order, how hard would terminating rights be

Children are with father, this has went on a year. She didnt know to court, father has proof of her being high and passing out at supervised visits when she got them. Stepmom wants to adopt

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Terminating a Parent's Rights is always difficult. The Couple can file a Petition for Adoption which must be served on the Mother as it is attempting to terminate her rights. The Couple must also be fit and proper Parents as they will be scrutinized also by various Parties, Agencies, etc. If successful, the Father will no longer receive Child Support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.