Fairview, TN asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Tennessee

Q: How do I file an instance of a false report filed against me by a neighbor? I have a notarized affidavit as proof.

This is in TN. A neighbor filed a police report against me for harassment. On the report (and per the police officer's statement to me), my neighbor

claimed I called Animal Control on her 13 times in the past few weeks. I obtained an affidavit from Animal Control stating I had only called 3 times in the past 4 years. Per tca 39-16-502, filing a false report is a felony. So what do I need to do now to proceed? I don't want to hire a lawyer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: A lawyer would not help you anyway. You might complain to the Sheriff's Office but most LEO's are going to ignore you. The same goes with the DA's and Magistrates. I would recommend you get over it, as there is no way the neighbor will be prosecuted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.