Cape Coral, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Alabama

Q: Two kids same ex wife, 1 will be 19 years old? Can i request stop the child support of the 19th years old in Alabama .

I pay $600 monthly (in the documents said i should pay 160 total but i was adding money a few times tru the years until i got to this amount), this is the total for both kids but papers don't specify anything for each except 160 total , my kid are from same ex wife. They live in alabama, i live in florida, one will become 19, my other kid will be 17. Can i stop child support for the 19 years old. I dont want to have to give all my finances again so my ex doesn't have that information. I never see them but i always talk to them. I probably see them once a year for a day and they don't stay with me . What can i do, what will happen?

I live with and maintain my new family and my new toddler. My income is good but at the same time i have way too many expenses here.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The only way to get out of child support for you child that has aged out is to go back to court and recalculate child support for one child. Unless you can reach a blind agreement with the mother on the amount to be paid and filed an uncontested modification you are going to be in a position where you will have again show proof of income just as she will and the calculation be redone. In fact, even if the mother agreed to take x amount the attorney doing the paperwork for you will have to get you to sign income affidavits showing your income and file a CS 42 showing the correct calculation for the remaining. child. If you vary from the calculated amount then you both will have to sign a document explaining why there is a variance. Your 2 options really are go back to court and recalculate or just keep paying what you are and hope she does not decide to take you back to recalculate. To help make that decision, if you know her income, you should retain a lawyer to do the calculation for you so you know whether you will come out better or worse and to what degree.

A: I agree with Mr. Oncale. You have to go back to Court. His advice is good with respect to doing the calculation before you go. You might end up paying more for one child than you were for two children depending on you income and the income of the mother. The fact that you have more expenses in Florida with your new family is not relevant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.