Saint George, UT asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Utah

Q: Joint custody and child abused in other home... do we have to take her back there?

My husband has joint custody of his daughter. We recently found out that she is being mentally, Physically, and sexually abused in her mothers home. We have already filed a case with child protective services but we fear her mother will retaliate against her if she goes back home. Can we keep her with us? Legally?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You would need to file a petition in Juvenile Court. See for the form or seek advice from a licensed attorney who practices in the Fifth District (Washington and Iron Counties).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.