Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: How would I go about filing a motion to have the statue on an old case changed in the state of MN?

Convicted of disorderly conduct statute 1 need to try and change it to statute 2.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: The best way would be to hire a criminal defense lawyer to help with it. As for which motion, a motion to withdraw a plea could work. Then, at the hearing ask the prosecutor and judge for help getting it changed. In the end, the Court Administrator will need to correct the court's record. After that, check to see if the MN BCA has a record on it. If so, get them a certified copy and ask them to update.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.