Chelsea, MA asked in Child Custody and Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: If my child’s mother took him to pa and never told me and I haven’t seen my child in over 2years , how can I go bout it?

I don’t what town or what part of pa she is in

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Acton, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: This is tricky because you waited on all your rights to address it. IF you had taken action she could have been prevented from taking the child out of state. Have you been adjudicated the Father via a signed birth certificate or a paternity action? If not you will have to proceed in the Court with jurisdiction over where she is living now. The circumstances between you might matter. Did she have a restraining order? was she given sole legal and physical custody? were you in jail and not notified where she was going? did she move to be with family or for a job?

Now that she has established out of state residence for so long,it will be nearly impossible to get her back here UNLESS there was an open action pending in probate court at the time. Even then you waited so long there may be no way to bring the child back to MA. You can pursue ana ction for visitaiton in PA once you learn where she is. Try using a website called and run her name and age and state through that and see if you can find her. Otherwise, you may need to start with an investigator. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.