Cortland, OH asked in Traffic Tickets for Ohio

Q: If my son who is 16 was caught going 48 in 25 how likely is he to get his license suspended first offense

16 years old first offense

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali W Latif
Ali W Latif
  • Columbus, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A standard ticket for speeding 23 m.p.h. over the limit typically carries two points on one's driving record and a fine. Fines typically range from $150-500, depending on the jurisdiction. If your son accumulates 12 or more points within 2 years his license will be suspended for 6 months. The Ohio BMV sends out warning letters when a driver has accumulated 6 points. Therefore, unless there are exacerbating circumstances or facts you did not mention, his license will not be suspended from this one offense.

Now, hopefully it never gets to this point, but for your reference, if your son did accumulate 12 points in a 2-year period and have his license suspended at some point in the future, then he would have to follow the Ohio BMV reinstatement requirements. These include waiting the 6 months, completing a remedial driving course, filing a certificate of insurance (SR-22/bond), paying a reinstatement fee, and retaking the entire driver's license exam again.

As always, you should contact an experienced attorney to advise you on your particular circumstances and the possibility of obtaining reduced charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.