Niagara Falls, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: My ex-husband worked for NYS Department of Corrections, he retired January 2019.

I am having a hard time collecting my portion of his pension and 401 k. He has made offers but will not offer any paper work. I have contacted NYS Retirement Fund who state they can not help me, wrote an e-mail to the marriage division of retirement but received no response. What can I do next? My income does not allow me to hire an attorney.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Nina Mironenko

  • Huntington, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Your Settlement Agreement or Judgment of Divorce should have included provisions/language regarding a QDRO, or DRO to be filed for each - the pension and the 401(k). Contact the attorney who handled your divorce. You will have to pay her/him.

Christine Moccia

  • Rye Brook, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you have a judgment of divorce, trying sending it to the retirement fund

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.