Pittsburgh, PA asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Pennsylvania

Q: Can she do that? What can I do ? Do I have to pay the bill? I don’t believe I should since I didn’t sign a contract.

I worked at a daycare from December 11 to March 22. I was expected to get paid today and didn’t due to some daycare expense issues. I “owed” $690 in daycare expenses and had a plan set up with my boss to take out $50 biweekly. since I had to relocate, due to not having a place to stay nearby I had to leave my job. My boss was billing me for childcare that I was unaware of, and told to,”bring my daughter and we’ll figure something out”. That was after I told her I didn’t have someone to watch her while I worked and that I couldn’t afford to pay that. My boss has taken my whole entire last check without my agreement.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: Let me break it down for you: If you received $690 more in daycare services than the amount of your paycheck--and then quit working at the daycare--it does not appear unlawful for your employer to withhold and apply your last paycheck to cover a portion of what you owe them. Nor do they have to allow you to pay $50.00 a month (for the new 14 months). Taka advantage of the employer's offer to work things out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.