Saginaw, MI asked in Adoption and Family Law for Michigan

Q: What do I have to do for my Father to legally adopt me?

He is the man on my birth certificate, however, he’s not my biological.

Also, would my biological father have to get involved?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I am confused by your question. If the man you consider to be your father is on your birth certificate, I don't think an adoption is possible or even what you're after. The adoption process is, very simplistically, a means to name a legal father. In the eyes of the law, that man is already your legal father. Even if an adoption is possible, of course, it cannot change who your biological father might be.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.