Clinton, CT asked in Tax Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Connecticut

Q: The IRS says that I received $29,000 and taxed me for it. I never received this money, what to do?

The IRS transcripts say that a fund in my name was sold from a Fidelity account. I have never had an account of any sort with Fidelity or any financial company at all. I was given the name and address of the seller. This action seems like fraud perpetrated as a Trust. How do I get a copy of the Trust? How should I proceed?

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Since the IRS rarely makes mistakes of this size (trust me), you are advised to consult an experienced lawyer to help you find out what happened and then to advise you what to do about it. In today's world of high-tech communication-- and rampant bank fraud-- you do not need a Connecticut tax lawyer to do the investigatory work for you. Hiring a lawyer experienced in securities fraud and bank fraud might also help put your mind to rest, and protect you from another similar problem.

1 user found this answer helpful

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: It sounds like you have been a victim of identity theft. This can be a complex issue to straighten out with the IRS. I recommend consulting with an experienced tax attorney. Most of us offer a free consultation. Stay away from the places you see advertised on TV.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.