Denver, CO asked in DUI / DWI for Michigan

Q: Will my restricted Michigan license still be in effect if I move back there? I have full license in Colorado currently.

I had a restricted license when I moved from Michigan from a drunk driving 24 years ago(actually had two in same year). Colorado gave me a full license 2.5 years ago and now I want to move back to Michigan. I'm wondering if Michigan will give me my full license back or will it still be restricted?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank B. Ford
Frank B. Ford
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Dearborn Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: That's a good question, and hard to answer without some further information. The most likely way to get a good answer is to obtain a COMPLETE, CERTIFIED driving record from the Michigan Secretary of State, and let me or some other Michigan attorney who handles drunk driving cases and the license problems from them on a regular basis review it. If you went through a hearing to get the restricted license from Michigan, you will probably still be on a restricted here, but would probably have to go through certain steps to renew it, and would have to have another full hearing to try to get back a full, unrestricted license. I handled a situation for someone who was completely without a Michigan license, who had then gotten a Colorado license, and Michigan still considered him to be suspended, so far as driving in Michigan was concerned. So I have to believe that Michigan would not just give you a full license, even though you have the Colorado license. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.