Fort Mohave, AZ asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: Hello, I was charged with marijuana possession (amount was a dime) on March 6, 2019. I was charged with a misdomeanor.

The marijuana was for my own personal use. I was a passenger in a rental car driving from AZ to IL and we got pulled over on I-40 in Holbrook, AZ. When the officer asked if we had any drugs in the car we answered yes and we told him where it was .I had a telephonic appearance with the judge in Navajo County, AZ (Holbrook) on April 2, 2019 and I was going to plead guilty, but the judge told me I could have a pre-trial with the prosecutor on May 1, 2019 and possibly receive a lighter sentence. I am wondering if I should get an attorney for this matter, or what I can expect when I have the pre-trial with the prosecutor. This is my first offense, I have never been in trouble before except for a misdeamenor charge of trespassing back in 1982. I have read that proposition 200 is in effect, will this proposition help me? I am very concerned, I do not know much about legal matters.

My email address is

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Yes, a lawyer can always help you with these kind of cases. Given the nature of your case and the fact that you don't have any prior felonies, you should be in a good position.

You have two different options.

First, you can contact a firm, such as ours, to sit down and go over your case. We will contact the prosecutor on your behalf and ensure you get the best deal possible.

Secondly, if you do not want to hire a lawyer, you can speak with the prosecutor yourself and see what they are offering you. Given that you do not have a legal background, you might not get the best deal possible and should have a lawyer help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.