Scottsdale, AZ asked in Family Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Arizona

Q: Guardianship or Power of attorney? My son 39yrs, an adult. SMI and schizophrenic. I think he is getting worse. I am Mom.

He still lives with me. He also has legal fines, court dates that he misses, is on probation and just seems to be digging this hole deeper and deeper. I want to help him.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: A guardianship would give you the most control and the most help. Check with your son's physician to see if the physician would support a guardianship.

But speak with someone you trust before commencing this legal procedure. This will be a most difficult task even with a guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.