Eugene, OR asked in Animal / Dog Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: I recently ranaway, but my family took my dog and went to txs. I thought they were gonna keep him, but they gave him awa

My cps worker decided to give him away and It wasnt his dog to give away and i was not consulted about this before it happened, is there any legal action I can take. Or anyway I can try to get him back, plz this dog means the world to me

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: There isn't an easy answer that someone can give you on the internet after just reading a short statement. On the one hand, if you have proof of ownership you might still have rights. On the other hand if you abandoned your dog that might amount to animal neglect and your family or your CPS worker giving your dog to someone who could care for the dog was actually doing you a big favor. You also have to think of the dog. The dog has the right to have a stable home with consistent care and you sound like your situation is a bit unstable. But if you still want to know your legal rights and whether you can get your dog back, I suggest you call a lawyer and you can try using the Oregon State Bar's lawyer referral program to find a lawyer who will talk to you for $35.00. Call 503-620-0222.

If the dog is in Texas you might need to contact a lawyer in Texas. it isn't clear where the dog is right now. Also a practical solution might be to talk to the people who have the dog now and work out a situation where the dog stays with them but you get to visit the dog.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.