Asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: A no contact/stay away Order has been placed on me but I meet my sons father for drop off/pick ups. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Conley
Alexander Conley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Danvers, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: I am assuming that either you were ordered to have no contact and stay away from your son’s father as a condition of your release related to an open criminal case, or there is a restraining order in place. If it is a condition of release, violating could lead to being placed into custody while the case is pending. If it is a restraining order, a violation of that order is a crime itself.

If the order is a condition of your release, you should bring this to the attention of your attorney, who can request that the Court amend the conditions to allow you to do drop-offs. The judge has nearly unlimited discretion in fashioning the conditions of your release.

If it is a restraining order, you and the plaintiff (your son’s father) can ask the Court to amend the order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.