Grant, MI asked in Collections and Health Care Law for Michigan

Q: I'm being sued for medical bills. Asked for reduced offer & monthly payments was told no. What can I do?

I sent a letter requesting a reduced settlement amount and monthly payments to settle the debt. I was told they would not do payments that it had to be one lump sum and I can't afford that. I've received the subpoena from the court and have no idea what to do to get this resolved as I can't afford to have them garnish my check. What can I do to get this taken care of?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You have a few options. Have you considered bankruptcy? If you significant unsecured (credit cards, collection accounts) debt, I suggest you consult with a bankruptcy lawyer.

Do you deny the debt or can you object to the amount of the alleged balance? If so, you can fight. Hiring a lawyer is often too expensive for consumers so if that is not an option, do the best you can.

If you have already filed bankruptcy or do not wish to do so, and you have no defense to the debt, I suggest you show up in court and provide your financial information as requested in the subpoena. Judges will sometimes convince creditors to enter into installment arrangements. However, the judge could just as likely permit them to take a judgment and begin collection activity. Your goal is obviously to avoid garnishment. Since the creditor will not take anything less than full payment, your only strategy (with the exception of bankruptcy) is to show up in court and see what happens.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.