Marietta, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Georgia

Q: Can I trust a court-appointed defender in Dekalb County, where DFACS has unlawfully taken my 22-month-old daughter?

I definitely have a case here, I simply cannot afford representation at this moment, at least not all at one time. I start a new job as soon as this case is resolved that will afford me to pay for a private attorney. I am 38 years old, and a victim of repeat abuse from my daughter's father, who was arrested on Feb. 27 on a warrant from Fulton County drug court. He attempted to get me arrested as well, and while I was briefly detained, I was not charged or arrested. I have zero drug charges on my record anywhere, yet the Juvenile Court and DFACS are making allegations against me that were stated to me as, "The mother and father both have a long history of methamphetamine abuse." The father does. I do not. I have offered to take a urinalysis at the DFACS office but they failed to put in the service order to have it done. I have been assigned 3 different caseworkers over the past month, and they have all lied to me, misled me, and been unavailable. I have a lot of questions & little time

1 Lawyer Answer
P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can trust the public defender. I will tell you that you aren't the first I've heard make those allegations against DeKalb DFCS. Right or wrong, you will have the opportunity to address these allegations in court. Take advantage of the ability to have a public defender. If you are unhappy with their services, contact private counsel to take over.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.