Asked in Bankruptcy for Alabama

Q: Grounds for a creditor to file an Objection to Confirmation of Plan

My ex-husband recently included me in his bankruptcy for my share in our divorce settlement. I was informed by the trustees office that my ex's $170,000 Secured debts would have top priority, then my Priority debts would be paid. I would like to avoid waiting 2/3 years to receive my settlement and wanted to know if I filed an Objection to Confirmation of Plan and ask the judge to be paid directly ( in order to receive my payments in a timely manner) would that be advisable.

Thank you,


Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Timothy Denison

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Absolutely. It cannot hurt to file and Objection. Worst that happens is it is denied. Best get paid. It is a domestic support obligation so he can’t bankrupt it.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Kevin M Ryan

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Mobile, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If your ex husband owes you a simple property settlement that is clearly not in the nature of "spousal support," then that claim can be discharged in his Chapter 13 Plan depending on his level of assets and income. I strongly recommend consulting with an Attorney who focuses on bankruptcy law, preferably over 15 years, and have them review the ex husband's Plan and your divorce settlement to determine what your rights are. Your ex husband's lawyer is not in any position to help you or provide guidance. If you get lulled into accepting the Plan, and it gets confirmed, you can lose your right to file an Objection and possibly get better treatment ( it all depends on your legal status and how it is recognized )

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.