Irvine, CA asked in Civil Litigation for California

Q: Hi, I have a medical practice and was recently served with order to garnish wages by sheriff.

The employee listed is my wife who has never worked at our office or ever on payroll, how do I respond? Pls help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Louis George Fazzi

  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You must comply with the court order. You can afford the services of a local attorney to advise you more appropriately on the details of the matter, but as a practical matter, if the person whose wages are to be garnished is not an employee, then you should not have any wages to garnish. Best practice would be to retain the services of an attorney to advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.