Ormond Beach, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: How can i get a name off my home

I put my boyfriends name on my home I own free and clear by quick claim deed. He was to invest his time and money to help me make much needed repairs. Not only have I caught him cheating ,he has not done any work to the home. What can i do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Hanson Copus
Jennifer Hanson Copus
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If he has been added to the title, then he legally owns an undivided 50% interest in the home. You may informally work out how to get him off the title, such as you purchasing his interest or he purchasing yours. If this is not successful, you have the right to file suit against him for partition. In this type of action, the only remedy is to auction the property at a public sale and the court will split the proceeds according to the investments to the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.