Stroudsburg, PA asked in International Law and Tax Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I live in PA and getting 22k international cash inheritance (London). Do I need pay inheritance tax? Declare with IRS?

I was contacted by the Ward Gethin Archer law firm in London England that I received a 22k inheritance from a distant family member. Turns out its legit as my uncle and two cousins opened a new bank account and threw a few hundred in and each received the same amount of money evenly. They gave them that info for the cash transfer and they dropped ~29k in their accounts within 2 weeks.

They want me to give them checking account info and social sec number to process the 22k (about 29k due to transfer rate).

Do I need to declare with the IRS? Pay an inheritance tax?? I live in Pennsylvania.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: As they say at the opera, "It ain't over until it is over." They also say "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't."

So, rather than worry about whether or not to "declare with the IRS" right now, and rather than worry about whether you will have to "pay inheritance tax" you would do well to employ a competent lawyer RIGHT NOW, before giving anyone on planet earth your social security number, banking account number and related personal information.

Whether "your uncle and two cousins" say they did it successfully--or are encouraging you to do it, rethink the wisdom of opening yourself up for possible enormous FUTURE financial problems--is not the point; forewarned is forearmed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.