Asked in Social Security for Georgia

Q: I live in Georgia. My husband was 43 years old and died of a sudden heart attack last week.

I live in Georgia. My husband was 43 years old and died of a sudden heart attack last week. I'm 45 and we had no children together. I always thought that when your spouse dies, you collect SSI from their death, regardless of age or having children together. From what I read online, I will get nothing he paid into ssi. Did I understand that correctly? If I don't get that money, where does it all go then? Or is there something I misunderstood?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Go to Social Security. They will explain. You will be entitled to widows benefits but not now--you get them at age 60.

did they have any life insurance at his work?

Also, was he a member of any fraternal organization or union? Many have life policies that are part of membership. Was he int he service--he may have benefits you can apply for.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.