Seffner, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: if i had to pay someone to get my car that was stolen back. what can i do to the person who stole it in the 1st place?

my car was stolen about a week ago. i happened to see my car posted on facebook trying to sell it. i hit the person up and told them i was coming to buy it and when i got there i made sure it was in fact my car i told the person what the deal was and they told me that they paid 500 for it and they just want their money back and i can have my car. so i gave them the 500. but what can i do to the person who took it in the 1st place now that i have my car back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Malcolm Anthony
Malcolm Anthony
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have the absolute right to your own property against all others. You should have called the police and had them appear with you to get your car. If you told the seller it was your car and it was stolen from you, technically he can be charged with Dealing in Stolen Property, a second degree felony.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.