Warren, MI asked in Bankruptcy for Michigan

Q: filing for car I have, it dont run. I want to get rid of car, bank gave me release of lien paper. Can I sell it?

In process of filing. The original loan was consolidated with other loans at the same bank. So seeing I'm still filing and its finalized yet, I didnt know if I could just sell the car for whatever amount, seeing i still owe the debt for it and that's what I'm filing on?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Kevin M Rogers

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Boise, ID

A: Get rid of the car. The title now belongs to the lending company. List the original lender, the seller of the car and the company that all previous liens were consolidated with and BE FREE of this lousy car!

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Trent Harris

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you have a release of lien, the car is yours now and you can do as you wish with it. You can sell it but make sure you get what it’s worth. If you sell for significantly less than it’s worth, especially if sold or gifted to an insider like a friend or family member, it could hurt you in your bankruptcy. So make sure to keep good records of the sale, what you got for it, and how you spent the money afterwards.

As always, you get what you pay for. Be sure to talk to a qualified attorney about your specific situation before choosing to rely on information you get from internet discussion boards such as this one.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Get rid of the car and list every entity who ever touched it in your petition.

Bruce Alexander Minnick and Robert Keyes agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.