Norfolk, VA asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: 8.01-296 VA code..I've given ALL documents to court and defendent by sheriff postings twice.

Defendent did not respond and is well beyond 21 days. I told clerk i wanted to pursue judgement by default. Clerk said there are some papers to fill out. What papers? Clerk told me I was almost done and had only one thing left to do but couldn't tell me what. Do I have to write a letter to the judge in my own words? Can you please explain "pleadings". Last letter from the judge said that I did not file the complaint properly.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James H. Wilson Jr.
James H. Wilson Jr.
  • Glen Allen, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Judgments or decrees by default are not allowed in divorce or annulment cases in Virginia.

Rule 3:19 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia provides as follows:

..."(c) Default Judgment and Damages.

(1) Except in suits for divorce or annulling a marriage, the court shall, on

motion of the plaintiff, enter judgment for the relief appearing to the court to be


Further, divorce cases require corroboration, independent of the admissions of either party. This requirement originated in the era of fault divorces, to prevent parties from colluding to obtain a divorce. Virginia Code Section 20-99 provides the requirement of corroboration as follows:

"§ 20-99. How such suits instituted and conducted; costs.

Such suit shall be instituted and conducted as other suits in equity, except as otherwise provided in this section:

1. No divorce, annulment, or affirmation of a marriage shall be granted on the uncorroborated testimony of the parties or either of them.

2. Whether the defendant answers or not, the cause shall be heard independently of the admissions of either party in the pleadings or otherwise..."

You should consult with an experienced Virginia divorce lawyer to discuss your options and the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.