Tucson, AZ asked in Divorce for Arizona

Q: There is a pattern of phys, verbally, and financial abuse. My husband says I'll be on the street if I leave him.

I cant support myself. I recently retired from my job. All monies in our 8 years has been mostly his income...his house. He says he owes me nothing. He was arrested 3 years for domestic abuse...charges were dropped because I did not testify. I've lost my family and friends because of him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rich J. Peters
Rich J. Peters
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Please come in soon. We can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options for divorce or legal separation. This is obviously a very important matter, and you should not go in alone.

You may be entitled to an award of spousal maintenance. Spousal maintenance is based upon so much more than just yours and his income. If you review through our statute, you can see the other topics. (See attached link........ such is relatively straight forward reading). I would need to know so much more to estimate what you may be entitled to.


One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free ½ hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call or email my assistant Maddy to schedule your free ½ hour consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.