Buffalo, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: Get rid of misdemeanor on record in New York State...?

I have a non violent misdemeanor on my record for identity theft 3 years ago. I am 22 and it is getting in the way of my future. No company will touch me with a 30" pole. I did research it says you can not expunge a criminal misdemeanor in New York State.

If I move states will I be able to get rid of it? Are there any ways to get rid of it?

I made a stupid mistake and I owned up for it. I was in a very dark place and I had no way to cope.

I volunteer every weekend to give back to the community (not because I have to, to clear my guilty conscience for what I did.) I still hate myself for it but I want to be a functioning member of society and work a normal job.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Litman
Michael D. Litman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Unfortunately, it does not matter where you move to, the NY record can't be expunged. However, it may be able to be sealed after 10 years, but that does nothing for you over the next 7 years.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.