Salt Lake City, UT asked in Child Support for Utah

Q: My ex and I had a verbal agreement that he would pay me child support monthly, he is currently behind 4 months

Our child is 11 and we have only had this agreement for about 2 yrs. Can I file for child support and receive back child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: This is not my practice area, but I will weigh in as no one else has. Enforceable terms of child support should have been taken care of or addressed in the divorce decree (assuming you were once married). Those will govern. If not in the divorce decree or there never was a divorce decree or court adjudication (ruling) on the matter, then you will need to file an action against him or her establishing parentage and then you would successfully be able to enforce child support payments.

I am not sure if you could go after him for a "breach of contract". It might work as long as your ex didn't deny parentage.

I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.