Lansing, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: I live in the State of MI. How should I plead for not stopping in time for a school bus? I was on the opposite side.

I was in front of my house, on the opposite side of street where the school bus was, and about to turn into the driveway ahead and drop my youngest off at his bus stop. I explained to the officer that I had a lot on my mind at the time, causing me to not realize the red lights were up on the bus at that moment. The officer was coming the opposite direction of me. I definitely did not purposely continue to drive. What is the best way to plead? I am concerned of the amount of the fine and my license. I work for the State of MI, M-F. I have 2 school aged children and I am very busy with them. I cannot afford points and or issues with my drivers license, etc. Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Bredow
Mark Bredow
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Bloomfield Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Call the Court and ask to set the matter for a "formal hearing". Go to the Secty of State and get a copy of your full driving record and take it with you to court. Sit with the City Attorney handling your case. Explain what happened, show her your good driving record and ask them to reduce the ticket to impeding traffic. You'll pay a fine, but the incident is not reported to the Secty of State and it has no points. You should consider taking an attorney with you. An attorney may know the City Attorney and may be able to get a deal. Its worth the price to have counsel with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.