Arlington, TX asked in Consumer Law and Child Support for Louisiana

Q: Is a state child support agency liable under FCRA requirements for credit reporting? Can I sue if they won't fix error?

Dealing with child support enforcement agency in Louisiana. The order is an out of state order. Only Louisiana, where I currently live, is reporting on my credit. But they are reporting incorrect info and details. I have filed dispute with the CRA as required by FCRA. Support Enforcement verified the reporting as correct. I contacted the issuing state, which still controls the order, and they confirmed that the info that LA is reporting is wrong. La does not show correct amounts of payments being made, and total balance showing is incorrect too. Some months the arrears even increase, even though I am on income assignment so it should always decrease. I'm paying over $100 extra per month to knock it down. Is there any law that protects them as a state agency against FCRA liabiilty or anything like that? Don't want to take action that ends up being for nothing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need to file something in court to have the amount they're alleging as arrears changed, if they refuse to do so voluntarily.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.