Absecon, NJ asked in Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: Police officer giving different accounts from what he originally wrote in police report...

Recently had a "suppression hearing", and a officer which was not the arresting officer but the partner-took the stand,and gave faulty testimony,,he gave a totally different account from what he had originally wrote up in his initial report. At the time, I had a ineffective attorney that didn't object or question the matter. How should a new attorney tackle that situation without going to trial?...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard Lesnik
Howard Lesnik
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mountainside, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Unfortunately, if the motion to suppress was denied, the judge ruled that the evidence seized in your case will be admissible in your trial. Despite the conflicting versions, the judge found the officer credible if he denied your motion. You should consult with a lawyer to review the reports and the testimony from the motion hearing.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.