Lafayette, TN asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: My green card expired 04/01/2016, I just noticed. I am still married to my American wife, what do I do? I-75I form??

I have been married for 5 years. I received my card 04/01/2014 and I just seen it expired 04/01/2016. We are still happily married. What can I do to fix this, what are my options? We are on a very limited budget.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Deron Edward Smallcomb

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA

A: You should still file the I-751 with an explanation as to why you were late on filing. If that doesn't work, your options become more complicated.

Rehim Babaoglu agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Rehim Babaoglu

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You and your wife can file joint I-751 petition with the required documents. You will also have to provide an affidavit explaining why you are filing late. Good luck to you.

Bruce E Buchanan agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.