Silver Spring, MD asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: My childs father is going for shared custody

He was abusive to me and got arrested when i finally called 911 and i have a protective order and through that protective order i made sure he could see our daughter this happened 5 months ago she is now 8 months but he sees her tuesday,thursday 4-9pm on those days and monday, Wednesday, 4-9pm and then gets her from friday 4pm allll the way until sunday 9pm... his father tried offering me different amounts of child support and said if i dont agree to it under his terms then he is going for shared custody and i have proof of it he only wants her more to lower the amount.. we had court just the other day and he found out how much he would have to pay he got angry and infront of the magistrate he said im going for shared custody to lower the amount... what do i do i dont believe my 7 month old daughter should have to live there and here just because he does not want to pay that much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If he actually said that in court, he is not getting joint custody. One of the factors in determining custody is sincerity of request. The parent has to want to have the child, not just want to get out of child support.

The court will consider the totality of the situation in determining custody. You should hire an attorney to help you navigate the system. If you cannot afford an attorney, the Montgomery County Pro Bono Program may be able to help

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.