Decatur, AL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: At 16 ( almost 17 ) can I choose to go live with my mom full time. ( right now I have to switch houses every week )

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. No, until you are 19, you are covered under the Court order from your parent's divorce or custody matter. It sounds like you need to discuss this issue with your parents and let them take the necessary legal steps to make this happen. It has possible child support and tax implications, which is why you need to express your wishes to them. It does not have to be a complicated process, but there is still a process to make sure everyone is clear on his/her legal rights and responsibilities. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.