Oklahoma City, OK asked in Family Law and Adoption for Oklahoma

Q: How can I get my son adopted by his Step Father.

He hasn't paid child support in years or seen him in a few years. His Bio dad said he would sign if that's what my son wanted, my son will be 15 this year. His biological dad is in jail in Texas and does reside there.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Bartlesville, OK

A: If you have the biological father's consent, the stepfather may adopt the child (provided the stepfather meets the other requirements for adoption.)

If you do not have the biological father's consent, then, in order for the stepfather to adopt the child, you need to prove that either:

for a period of twelve (12) consecutive months out of the last fourteen (14) months immediately preceding the filing of a petition for adoption of a child, the has willfully failed, refused, or neglected to contribute to the support of such minor


the father fails to establish and/or maintain a substantial and positive relationship with a minor for a period of twelve (12) consecutive months out of the last fourteen (14) months immediately preceding the filing of a petition for adoption of the child.

There are also other grounds for adoption without consent. To see those grounds, click here:


Melissa Oxford
Melissa Oxford
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Luckily, you do not have to go to the expense of a home study for a step parent adoption, but you must have been married to the step parent for one year and the minor must have been living with you for one year. Also, if the step parent has certain criminal offenses he/she may not be eligible to adopt.

10 O.S. 7505-5.1

Also, if the minor is over the age of twelve, he/she will need to consent to the step parent adoption unless it is otherwise in his/her best interest.

With regard to the biological father, he will need to relinquish his parental rights and since he is incarcerated, I recommend trying to get a Judge in the county where he is incarcerated to accept the relinquishment. The biological father could also execute an extrajudicial consent from prison, but I would try to set up a hearing with a Judge as indicated previously.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.