Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: Reguarding a verbal agreement over renting a residence, will it hold in court?

My fiance had a verbal agreement w the new landowner to do maintenance work in order to pay our rent. He was supposed to be working for $18 HR and we have done our best to try and log his hours.He also keeps every text message and has a log of all calls.he had worked well over what it would take to pay the rent, I think around $600 is what we calculated he had earned and rent is $400.once it came time for rent to be due the land lord decided to change his mind.Now he is threatening us with an eviction and a swift one at that. What leg do we have to stand on?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: When it comes down to it, its your word against the landlord's. You need to show evidence of the agreement, whether that is a witness to the conversations or party to them. If you have any sort of evidence of the agreement in writing or communications, such as text messages or emails, you can use that to show that there was an agreement. You can also point to the work that your husband has done to bolster your claim that there was an agreement for your husband to provide work in exchange for rent payments. After all, why would your husband be working for free?

As for 'a swift eviction,' an eviction goes through the Small Claims court in Indiana like any other eviction. That can take weeks or even months for a person to actually be removed from the rental property. That's assuming the landlord can obtain the eviction.

Consult with a local attorney in your area to review the evidence and obtain legal advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.