Olympia, WA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Washington

Q: My spouse and I are going thru custody case.I learned child has missed 12 days-47 tardy. Is this neglect?

We are both petitioning for full custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth A. Arwood
Elizabeth A. Arwood
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Vancouver, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: It's difficult to answer this without more information regarding the cause of the absences. Neglect in Washington is defined as negligent treatment or maltreatment of a child by any person under circumstances which indicate that the child's health, welfare, and safety is harmed. In Washington, unexcused absences can result in a separate court action called a truancy proceeding. The truancy proceeding would be brought by the school district. There are very specific procedural safeguards outlined in the truancy statute that the school district must comply with before bringing a truancy action; after they have met those, if a child has more than 10 unexcused absences in a school year, or 5 unexcused absences in a month, the school district can file a truancy petition. It is in your child's best interest to figure out the underlying cause(s) of the unexcused absences, and help him/her with those barriers, as it may or may not have anything to do with the other parent. If you believe the other parent is causing the unexcused absences or contributing to them in some way, you should raise this issue in family court with documentation including school records. This answer is not intended as legal advice, and it is always best to consult an attorney about your individual circumstances for advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.