Corpus Christi, TX asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: Can I legally move with my children? I’m custodial parent.

Children’s father is $13 grand behind on child support..just will not work.He hasn’t held the medical insurance in more than a year. Have taken him to court because he refused to go by 50/50 custody and moved outta state. Took him back at my expense $1000..&refused to agree to standard unless I dropped assault charges..did so. Asked for child care money since I paid his half for over a year on his court ordered week when he didn’t get the kids. Agree to an xtra $500 only he chose day care..and he wanted oldest in latchkey. I did all of his demands and papers were signed and granted the $500. A week later he was fired. So I have in expensive day care and I haven’t received any support from aug till feb..February got about $200 and he only worked 3 wks before getting fired. He did file income tax ..& I had to pay for to the tax preparer which took care of some back pay. Still has not worked since February. So can i move to better our lives. He has changed # so i can’t even get ahold

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Peak
Gary D. Peak
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Eastland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Sounds like you need a good attorney to take him back to court and have him help in contempt and maybe get him to agree to modify some of the terms to allow you to relocate in exchange for not asking the court to throw him in jail, or suspend his driver's license if meet the requirements for that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.