Detroit, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: I got a speeding ticket with incorrect info on it. The Name, date of birth, address is wrong. Can I get this dismissed?

The only thing that is correct on the ticket is the Vehicle plate number. Should I fight this in court or contact the officer's supervisor?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank B. Ford
Frank B. Ford
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Dearborn Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Probably the best way to approach this is to ask for an Informal Hearing. When you go for that, you can tell the Magistrate about the mistakes on the ticket, but even before you do that, talk with the officer, who should be there for the hearing, and see if you can reach an agreement that will not put any points on your record. Be aware, the officer can orally correct the information at the hearing, or re-write the ticket. Also, if the ticket doesn't charge you for the full speed the officer says you were going, the ticket can be amended to charge you with every mph they claim that you were going. Don't contact the supervisor; that could really backfire on you. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.