Kansas City, MO asked in Child Support for Texas

Q: When does child support stop?

The child turned 18 in April 2019, and will not be able to graduate as expected from high school in May due to failing grades. The child is not disabled. The divorce decree states age 18 or graduation from high school, whichever is later.

He has no job, and I do not know if he intends to try and get his high school diploma. When do I stop paying child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Peak
Gary D. Peak
  • Eastland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It depends on whether he stays in school for summer school trying to graduate, or comes back in the fall to asses to graduate. I would meet with the school counselor who deals with issues like this trying to get kids to graduate and find out if there is a plan and if so what. Ask how they handle it paperwork wise if a child doesn't graduate as to whether they are still in school or not. What papers would be required to be filled out and submitted if he intends to take summer or classes in the Fall. If it is clear, or he admits in a text or otherwise he isn't going to continue with school, you can stop paying and let them prove you wrong. But, you will likely have to provide the Attorney General evidence he is no longer attending.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.